As a pet owner, it’s very important to know how to choose the best treats for your dog. Healthy treats made of high-quality, natural ingredients provide your dog with all the nutrients they need to grow and be healthy. But, with so many local and online pet shops in Canada, each one offering multiple pet food brands, it’s quite hard to decide upon which dog treat to buy. To help you make the right decision, we’ve compiled a short healthy pet treat buying guide.
What to Look for When Choosing a Healthy Pet Treat?
All-natural Organic Ingredients
Look for dog treats that are made of high-quality, all-natural, 100% organic ingredients, like our all-natural organic dog treats. The most suitable ones are meat-based, rich in vitamins, minerals, and proteins, low in calories, and minimally processed.
Healthy dog treats don’t contain any additives, such as artificial colors and flavors, preservatives, fillers, and added sugar. If there are ingredients on the label that sound weird or you don’t know, the chance is they are artificial. In this case, it’s best to stay away from those products.
Apart from being additives-free, the best healthy dog treats are also allergens-free. Hence, they don’t contain ingredients that cause allergies, such as gluten, dairy, grains, and soy.
Type of Dog Treat
There are several types of healthy dog treats, including:
- Functional dog treats – Provide specific health benefits. The most common ones are dental chews and treats with added ingredients that support joint health, digestion, or the immune system.
- Jerky dog treats – Paleo, grain-free dog treats that are tasty and look great. They are made of a limited number of natural, minimally processed ingredients.
- Freeze-dried dog treats – Made of raw, natural ingredients, these treats provide great nutritional value and natural flavor.
- Crunchy dog treats – Most commonly found in the form of biscuits, these dog treats come in different sizes, shapes, and flavors. They are suitable for dogs of all ages and sizes and are easy to store and carry.
- Soft chewy dog treats – Have up to 25% higher moisture content and antibacterial moistening agents which help keep the treat soft and easy to chew. They have a soft texture and are easy to chew and digest, so you don’t have to worry about them splintering into tiny pieces that may cause your pup to choke.
- Long-lasting dog treats – Most commonly found as bully sticks, these treats are bone-like but softer to prevent lacerations in the dog’s mouth and digestive system. They are single-ingredient treats made of all-natural ingredients and free from additives and allergens. Due to their texture and content, they last longer, which makes them perfect for keeping your pet entertained for some time.
Country of Origin
A product’s country of origin can tell a lot about its quality and safety. It’s because not all countries have the same quality manufacturing standards companies need to comply with. Hence, if you want to choose high-quality and safe dog treats, you should choose those manufactured in the U.S. and/or Canada and stay away from those manufactured overseas.
Choosing the best dog treat for your beloved dog will make sure they are healthy and safe, receiving all the nutrients they need. We know there are many types of dog treats and even more brands, which is why we created this short healthy pet treat buying guide. We hope it will help you choose the right healthy treats for your dog.