Are you planning to add a new, furry member to your family? Welcoming a dog to your family and into your home is a big step for you and a totally new world for your pet. That’s why you need to prepare your home.
Not sure where to start from?
Here are 4 tips on how to turn your home into a dog paradise.
- Create a Special Dog Space
We love having a special place for ourselves and dogs love it too. They need a small space only for them, a place where they will rest, sleep, and play. It can be in a corner in the living room or the hallway, or even a tiny spot made of a dog cushion in your bedroom.
Dogs don’t need much, just a small soft cushion or bed in which they will be able to lay and relax. When choosing a dog cushion or bed, go for products made of natural materials such as cotton. And, remember, the softer the bed, the happier the dog.
- Plan a Dining Space
Where will your pup eat and drink water? Are you going to use bowls you can place anywhere your pup is? Or do you want to have a special place for eating and drinking to make sure your home stays as clean and organized as possible?
If you are for the latter one, then you need to choose a place in your home where your dog will come only for eating and drinking water. It doesn’t have to be big or anything fancy, simply a spot in the kitchen or hallways equipped with a bowl for eating and a bowl for drinking.
- Make Sure Your Home is Safe
Dogs are like babies – both enjoy lying on the floor and reaching out to things that aren’t for them. They also tend to open closets, drawers, and cabinet doors. The problem with all this is that they may get their paws on something harmful. Therefore, you have to make sure there are no harmful items within their reach.
How to do that?
- Remove decorations and any easy-to-fall items
- Secure your lockers, drawers, and cabinets
- Put away your trash bin
- Place vinyl plank flooring above the existing one to protect it from scratches
- Replace your current furniture fabrics with microfiber ones as they are stain-resistant and easy to clean.
- Don’t use cleaning chemicals since they are potentially toxic to dogs. Instead, use cleaners with natural ingredients.
- Don’t use essential oils or strong scents as they can also be toxic to dogs. Instead, go for scented candles or air fresheners that don’t contain essential oil or strong scents like citrus or ammonia as they can upset your pup.
- Get Some Toys
And, last but not least, don’t forget the toys. Dogs love to play and solve puzzles. So, make sure you get puzzle chews, stuffed animals, and similar toys that will engage them and keep them busy for hours.
Preparing your home for a new furry addition isn’t much complicated. By making these small but significant changes, you will turn your home into a dog paradise. Your dog will be happy and you will be sure your pet is safe and sound at all times, even when you’re not at home.